Friday, August 04, 2006

Bridge of flowers


IMG_4951
Originally uploaded by digijinx.
Yes you read that right. I had been to visit a place called the Bridge of Flowers which is perennial garden bridge…what all kinda ideas people come up with. This place is supposedly claimed to be the only one of its kind in the world. This bridge was originally built for the Trolley line. After the Trolley line became obsolete in 1928, people (Antoinette and Walter Burnham) came up with the idea of turning this concrete structure into a bridge of flowers and it became a reality in the following year. Now that is some imagination.

The bridge plays host to over 500 different varieties of perennial flowers (believe me it’s a cornucopia out there but since I went in summer there were many flowers missing) and there is a Flowers Committee with a head gardener and they maintain this garden from spring through fall. There were trees on this bridge and I kept wondering where would the roots go? But well the trees were there bearing wild apple like thingies, only the apples were smaller.
This time of the year I think the Irises are in bloom and they were aplenty. There were a lot of roses too. Pleasing to the eye, this place is really nice. They have benches put up on the bridge where you can sit and view the flowers and each flower comes with its name tag and the flower in my previous post was there and I tried so hard to find its name. Looks like someone flicked the name tag; I even searched under the bushes, only in vain. Mind you, am still searching may be someone might come up with the name. (Just like one of the fellow bloggers told me that it was a Magnolia) I also got to see the Kingbird, you can see its pictures too..couldnt get a close up of it thought

The travelogues continue…

No comments: