Friday, August 18, 2006

Tennis and Rabbits!

Just like how the shutterbug bit me, I also fell hook line and sinker for Tennis. Though, I stink at that game. But am still learning…so that’s a good sign isn’t it?Tennis is an absolutely amazing game, the very thrill that you get a point by making a passing shot or a volley or a serve just gives you a feeling of exhilaration. Lawn tennis was one of the earlier forms of Tennis and now people play it on almost any surface, I play on concrete turf! But on any given day, lawn tennis rules. Wimbledon always has its own charm and glory and no other Grand Slam can take that away! There is something royal about it! And then it reminds me of Sampras and Becker and Graf! Well I can just keep going on and on but this time around am not rambling.

If you are thinking it’s just another game, let me tell you all about it. It’s not just getting on court and playing, there are so many things that you need to play tennis. First there is the racquet…it can’t be just another racquet, gotta be a good one! Then comes the tennis balls…there are the junk balls which turn all furry after you hit a couple of shots (even if you are the worst player… these tennis balls are worse than you!). Of course there is the availability of the court to play! You have to get your footwork right; you have to follow through with every shot; you have to swing the racquet; you have to keep watching the ball; your forehand and backhand has to be strong, and you cannot just dance around on the court! When I play exciting tennis, its always mostly my feet are glued to the ground and I end up watching the ball pass by me or if I do take it I slam it to the net or hit it for a six! I would have been good at cricket I guess!

My forehand has absolutely no swing or powers so it barely makes it across the net …so I don’t even want to get started about my backhand. Of course there is the hitting of the tennis balls into the other court or into the bushes and spend half the time picking them up. We end up losing and finding a lot of these tennis balls every day. Then there is the thing called service, now I somehow manage to get my serve in but it lands on you like a soft snowflake…its just cakewalk to hit it. Now that is easiness served on a platter for you what more could you ask for?


But when I play tennis the most interesting part of the game is when I spot the brown rabbit having its evening snack, looks like he is people savvy…but yeah if you get too close to him he runs away. I always wonder since he comes from just behind the woods if he is the rabbit and I am Alice, so is there a wonderland then??

1 comment:

Hussain said...

I was wondering what the connection is between rabbits and tennis and had to read your whole post to finally come to the rabbits. :-)