Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tubing down the Farmington river!!

Sunny skies, cold water...tubing sure was/is fun. It was a weekend of fun and frolic, just another reminder to ourselves that summer is here.I had started it off tubing and ended it with a quiet walk at the beautiful rose garden in Hartford.
It had rained the previous day and the temperature was down...so it just multiplied my worries about the cold water. I started the day early for a Saturday and left the house around 10:00ish to reach this place. It was a looooooong drive...but I was here before when I went to Kent falls, so its now like my backyard and I enjoy the long drive through the mountains and scenic Connecticut.
Farmington river tubing is located at the Satan's Kingdon State Recreation Park area in New Hartford, CT. The plan was tubing first and then a picnic.There were almost 22 of us gathered (of course at different times), some worried about the depth of the water, some worried about how cold it was (of course that was me! with some kinda crazy throat I had...my voice was sounding very sexy..as Phoebe says in Friends...believe me..the water was cold), some worried about the rapids, some worried about getting tanned/burnt, some just worried about their dear life..and some worried about everything...but we all did it and managed to come out of it in one piece.
Seven of us grabbed our green life vests and our blue tubes and just started floating down the river. My butt got numb in a couple of minutes since i entered the river and so did everyone else's. I was stuck at some rocks soon as I started out. Then of course paddling didnt help, so I pushed myself out of the rocks...my legs came to the rescue. So you can very well imagine I was the last to set out tubing. The first rapids came very soon and we went under a bridge..it was fun..I did get stuck in the still part of the water and paddled my way back to the stream after the first rapids..and I was looking out for the second and the third. They were even more exciting...tossing and spinning at the rapids with water splashing all over me...I caught up with my friends after the third rapids...(In fact they caught up with me) Then we were all holding on and just cruising along and we had to make a decision when we saw that the river forked and we wanted to go right and of course we like all drivers do...went left. Finally saw the tube hanging for the exit (thanks to a hawk eyed friend) and I climbed out of my tube just when my pants got dry...and got them all drenched and cold again. We then waited for the bus to take us back. Can't believe it was 2.5 miles and 2 hrs of tubing...it went by so quickly. Just to think we almost canceled this trip! Gee! I would have repented that.
Then we had grilled corn(the desi style with lime and chilli powder+salt), chicken,sandwiches,wraps and then of course we played some volleyball. In between the game, the ball ran to the water and one of my colleague's husband jumped in to rescue the ball from floating away....and got wet all over again, and he seems have enjoyed his brave act,(we all did) coz he got right back into the game and we did win that one. Then it was time to leave...all sore all over the body..the volleyball definitely didnt help...but it was an awesome day of fun.
The next day we did something too...thats probably in the next post. This one just got long. Since I was in the water the whole time...i of course didnt click any pix.

2 comments:

Hussain said...

oh nice seems like a lotta fun

Rambler registries said...

yup....it sure was.