Monday, November 06, 2006

The unsaid Part 17

I guess a week should have been enough to catch up with the previously of unsaid...
Here is part 17 now..


The unsaid Part 17


They sat down. Their table was near the window. The restaurant had a dim lighting. Kenny-G was on the saxophone. Each table had its own speakers.

“Shall we order”, he passed out the menu card to her. The waiter came and took their order.

“So, where are you from?”, Jenny asked.

“Opposite block to yours” and they started laughing. The tension eased a wee-bit.


“I am from Florida. My folks live up there. We have out own farms there you know.”

“That’s nice. Lovely place”, she commented,

“Have you ever been there, Jennifer?”

“Yes. Amazing weekend at the resort for New Year.”

“That’s what I call destiny. I could have met you earlier in Florida. But, my folks came here for New Year”

“That’s interesting. So how long have you been in New York Pete?”

“About six or seven months. I tell you, the city is amazing.”

“So, I reckon you like it here, huh! Aren’t you fed up with the monotony?”

“Well you know me, I am my own master.”

“You just, sounded like me”, and they enjoyed their dinner quietly, not quiet as much quiet.

“Do you like the food?” he asked. “What a silly question to ask her? You are a moron!” he said to himself.

“It’s amazing. I wonder how I never came here before.

It’s strange thought Pete you’ve been here only for a short while; you seem to know New York quite well.”

“Jenny what’s wrong with you? You’ve gone far overboard. I should write about this in my show sometime, It’s no time to think about shows. Oh God! Help me, shout up!”, she thought.

“I like traveling and I love to eat. It should be good food. So what you do in your free time Jennifer?”

“Nothing much and call me Jenny please. I thought you would pick up the cue. I kept calling Pete. Enough of embarrassing me. Well I write.”

“No, that’s your job I asked you about your hobbies.”

“Well I like to star-gaze. I have my own telescope and eye capturing sky’s cape at night. “I thought you looked at the sky Jenny, not at the sky’s cape. Don’t tell me you’re a peeping Tom?” And they stared laughing.

“I did watch the Leonid showers. I kept making wish after wish for the meteors, everyday. It was a wonderful sight, looked as though the sky manufactured its own fireworks and put up a night show. It was a spectacular event. Did you watch it, Pete?”

“Oh Yes! I did fascinating stuff”.

“So, how did your get into fashion designing, a very interesting and challenging job, isn’t it?”

“Yes it is. I was, quiet good at drawing from my childhood, not that I wanted to become an artist, I did do a few art exhibitions, but I got paid very less. My father could use the money, so I switched to Fashion Designing and well I am making enough dough to afford a car and an apartment in Manhattan. Now that’s life isn’t it?”

“Oh yes it is”, she nodded heavily, her earrings dangling. “You tell you were good at drawing right, Pete?”

“Quite good yes”.

“Then will you sketch my portrait right here, right now. I’d love to have my portrait sketched. It’s always been a dream of mine.”

Pete hesitated. “I don’t have the proper equipments.” “Yes you do”, and she gave him a pen and a paper. “Tell you what, I’ll sketch you roughly. But you can come to my boutique anytime and I’ll sketch you your portrait. Its my birthday gift to you.”

The two suddenly realized, that they were having fun and the voices inside had silenced themselves with the tape. Then finally left the restaurant and the traffic was not that heavy, so they reached home easily.

“You don’t give me the pleasure to walk from the car to your door, ‘coz you live right opposite my block. That’s sad, isn’t it Jenny?” and they started laughing. . She was looking so beautiful and lovely sitting in his car, laughing at his stupid jokes.Pete suppressed every nerve of his to kiss her.

“To tell you the truth Pete, I was apprehensive at first. I thought I’d broken down and it’d ruin everything. But, you are an interesting guy Pete. I must admit. I had a wonderful time tonight. Good night Pete”, and got out of the car and crossed the road.

“You jerk! Get up and go behind her. You should have said something too. Are you deaf or what? Didn’t you hear her talk, then couldn’t you have talked back. You just sat there gaping like an idiotic ape….”

“I’ll call you Jenny Good night” he yelled out as she went in. She waved back and smiled. She was surprised he didn't make his move to kiss her goodnight. That was sure something different and totally not typical of a guy she thought as she took the elevator upstairs.

to be continued

No comments: