Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The unsaid part 8

I gave a break of about 4 days for whoever is reading my novel to catch up.Here is part 8 now. Read the previous parts to follow.

Part7 through part1


The Unsaid Part 8



Pete and Allan walked into the cafĂ©.“Hey man, look there she is. Go talk to her and go out on a date. Our bets still on”, Allan said.“Okay”, Pete said, “but let me have my dinner first”. He quietly finished his dinner, watching Jenny. Then he walked up to her. “Excuse me, you are Jennifer Rodricks right?” he enquired, as if he did not know.“Yes. But I’m not..”, before she could finish, he started.“I am a great fan of yours. I’d like to know why you’ve stopped writing. You know we’re missing you. Don’t you?”

She then realized she hadn’t worked for almost a year, sorry 3 or 4 months and then her producer’s call came back in a flash. She was so much preoccupied with thoughts of Andy that she could not think of anything else.“Well, I don’t have to explain myself to a complete stranger. I am delighted that you are my fan. Well what’s your name?”
“I am Peter Willard, I am a fashion designer I’ve got my own boutique, I even have my shows. This is my card. I’d like to take you out for dinner sometime. Call me”, he just left.

“Ya you keep dreaming. She has already left and you never got to talk to her. Snap out of it Pete. You are a loser. My thousand bucks”. That was when Pete realized it was just a figment of his imagination.“Damn it!” he exclaimed.“Oh boy! Don’t say that. I’m happy to see that I’m inching closer to my thousand bucks. Tell you what you take her out for dinner before I get married or else, pay me my thousand bucks. Now I gotta go meet Irene. She’ll be waiting for me, you know what, be surprised I think I’ll pop the question, very soon. We’ve been going steady for almost two years and I think we’re ready to commit to each other. So start hunting for your roommate soon ‘coz I’ll be moving. Also man, save money to throw me my bachelor party. Its gotta be a good one dude”, and Allan walked out.

Pete was unlucky in the sense that it rained on the day he bought his bed. There was a bad snow storm when he first came to New York and they landed in Virginia. His first show was a complete fiasco. He was lucky in some other ways. Well you can’t get everything in life can you?One of Irene’s friends needed an apartment, she ended up being Jenny’s roommate. Well it’s a small world after all.

Allan had finally popped the question to Irene, she accepted and they were getting married on the 14th of February. Oh! How romantic! That’s what Pete thought. He did want to give one more shot at talking to Jennifer and he buzzed her apartment.“Ya, who’s it” “Its Peter Willard. I...”“Ya! Come up Pete” was the answer before he could finish.

“Strange!” he thought and he went up and knocked. Victoria opened the door and kissed him.“Gee Pete. How did you know I was here? Did Irene tell you?”

Pete was surprised, indeed “Hey! Wait a minute. Take it easy. I’m not here to see you. I am here to meet Jenny”, he wished he had said that.

“Hi Vicky. Well I’d like you to know that if you need any thing I’m just in the opposite block. Fell free to drop in,” he bit his tongue as he said that, and left.

“Feel free to drop in. What are you a moron? You completely missed it up Pete,” he chided himself as he went down in the elevator.

Jenny had the habit of writing her diary but she had not entered a word in it for almost a year now. (Ya! 3 months). (It’ January remember!!). She opened her new diary to January 12th and started writing.


Dear diary,

I know I’ve neglected you for a really long time. But now I have thought things over, I’m clear now. I am still missing Andy. I don’t think anybody should know it, not even Steve. But I have decided to move on, and I have promised myself that I’ll be happy and really have fun. No matter what happens. I am going to look out for Mr. Right, if he’s out there, but I swear I’m not going to get hurt anymore and taken for a ride.


Time was ticking for Pete. He just had almost a month left. He started realizing a month left. He started realizing, that more than the bet he was now more obsessed with Jenny. So he called up Allan and told him that he was a loser and he would pay him the money.“I knew it Pete. Use it for my bachelor party man,” Pete could sense the excitement in his voice. Pete finally decided it was time to talk to Jenny. He did not know how, when and where, but he just knew he had to do it. He just felt she was the one.

The phone rang in Pete’s apartment. Pete picked up and couldn’t believe what he heard. He was jumping up and down. He was very excited. Pete had just been offered to design for a Hollywood movie.He had put a word here and there. One of them had even talked to him on his show before Christmas. He was very excited and once again, he had forgotten about Jennifer Rodricks.“Hey Allan, I’ve been offered to design for a Hollywood movie. I can’t believe what I’m telling.”“Neither can I!”, Allan mocked,“Shut up Allan. I swear I’ll kill you”.“Just kidding man. Good luck, so when do you start?”“I don’t know. They said they’ll inform me very soon. Boy Am I excited or what?”“Well don’t forget my Bachelor party man. I’ll kill you if you did”. “Oh! My God! I gotta go now. Bye catch you later Allan, and he left suddenly.“God help him”, Allan exclaimed.


To be continued...

No comments: